This one is a family favorite any meal of the day. I will often make it for supper when my husband is on night shift. That way he can wake up to the yummy aroma of apples and cinnamon. This qty feeds our whole family of 6+. So I thought, especially since it's cooling off these days, that this can be one to share. I will be sharing many more recipes over the next while so keep checking in.
- 4 1/2 c old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 c raisins (we've also used chopped dried apricots or cranberries)
- 8 c milk
- 2/3 c packed brown sugar (sub. with honey or even maple syrup)
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3-4 c apple, grated with it's juices or chopped
- 1 c chopped walnuts, or almonds
- Additional milk, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. In casserole dish, mix oats, raisins, milk, the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and apples.
- Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed. Top with nuts. Serve with additional milk if you like.
NOTE: You can prep this the night before, refrigerate and then just heat in oven for 1/2 hour or until warm. The oats will absorb a lot of the milk through the night.