Saturday, October 29, 2011

I Love Soups for Fall

I really enjoyed this one and wished I had made a triple portion. It's from my Williams Sonoma, Food Made Fast: Soup cookbook. I though I might share this one with you. I have made so many recipes from this series, that I could not even count. Hopefully, I won't get in trouble for this... though I did make some of my own alterations.

Lentil & Spinach Soup

4c chicken stock
3 slices of bacon, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
salt & freshly ground pepper
1c dried lentils, rinsed & picked over
2 tbsp tomato paste
3c baby spinach, chopped (though I used kale, because that's what I have)

In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the bacon until the fat is rendered. Add the carrot and onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic, thyme and 1tsp salt and sauté until garlic is soft. Stir in lentils.

Add stock, tomato paste and 1c water, raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover partially and simmer until lentils are tender to the bite (25-30 min). Add the spinach and simmer until wilted. Season with salt & pepper and serve.

serves 4

Also shown here is a cheddar-chive-biscuits

I hope you enjoy this one as much as we did. There are plenty of neat tips in Williams Sonoma books and as usual great photos, making them well worth investing in. Another recipe made from this series is Pappardelle with Mushrooms. We added chicken to make it more family friendly and satisfying for my husband who really doesn't like mushrooms much. It was so good. Since we don't drink that much wine, I just froze the rest in ice cube trays for future recipes. I do the same thing with left over herbs. Put them in a baggie and into the freezer they go.