Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Butternut Squash Muffins

When I saw a recipe on Jamie Oliver's web-site I was inspired to use up a butternut squash I had left over from last week. I didn't feel like making soup and having my children say "YUCK". What do they know anyway; so I thought muffins! Since Jamie's measurements were in weight, I was challenged to convert. I always use the online converter from onlineconversion.com. It is VERY helpful, however, as I was making the batter, some things just didn't feel right, so I made my own adjustments. Below is the recipe I used...

4c               raw, butternut squash*
1 3/4c         light, brown sugar
4                 large, eggs
1/4 tsp        sea salt
3c               whole wheat flour
2 1/4 tsp     baking powder
1 tsp           cinnamon
3/4c            extra-virgin olive oil

* wash the outside, cut open & remove seeds, roughly chop, keep skin on, finely chop with a food processor

Mix all together and fill muffin cups. Bake at 350˚F for 20-30 min. depending on your oven. Cool completely on racks before frosting (see below).
Makes about 20 large muffins.

Frosting
zest of 1 lemon & juice of 1/2
1/2c         icing sugar
3 tbsp      sour cream