Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cauliflower & Butternut Squash Curry with Lemon Chutney

This one is inspired by Jamie Oliver. I only saw him make this on TV and did not find a recipe. I thought it would only be fair to pass on the way I made it (his fancy added touches I did not do). Anyway, here it is. Serve this over some hot brown basmati rice and a side of cool yogurt and yum. For my kids I also added a side of raisins. They LOVE the sweet with curry dishes.

1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
1 onion, sliced (stir-fry style)
2 tbsp butter
1/4 c curry paste (for speed, I used Patak's Mild Curry)
4-6 cups  water, heated in kettle
1 bag spinach
salt & pepper to taste
*opt. 1/4 c heavy cream (or whipping cream) if you like
*garnish with fresh coriander (I didn't have, so I used flat leaf parsley and added ground coriander for flavour)

• In a large skillet over med/high heat, melt butter. Add the cauliflower and cook until lightly browned (3-5 minutes). Add the butternut squash, onion and 2 cups or so of hot water to start cooking the vegetables. 

• You will slowly add more water as it cooks down. If you like a less saucy curry, then add less water overall. It's totally up to you. You only need just enough water to cook the vegetables.

• After about 10 minutes you can add the curry paste, working it into the vegetables as you add more water. Turn the heat down to medium and let is simmer until vegetables are easily pierced with a fork. At this point you can wilt in the spinach and add any cream should you like it that way (I only added cream because I had no plain yogurt to serve along side).

Lemon Chutney:
2 lemons, finely chopped1 shallot, sliced into thin rings
1 tbsp tarragon, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
drizzle of agave syrup (or pinch of sugar/honey)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

• Heat oil in a pan, adding shallots, lemon & tarragon to hot pan. Drizzle with agave and s & p to taste. Once tossed and warmed up a bit, pour mixture into small serving bowl.

This only takes about 30 minutes to make and this amount served 3 adults and 3 children with two adult portions left over for lunches. I hope you enjoy this one, most of the children said it was a keeper.