Thursday, November 24, 2011

Chaos in the Home

This week I was feeling completely taken over by my "life". Between doctor appointments, Christmas baking and picking up after 4 children, this photo illustrates well how I feel like by the end of my days. I've always known that being a Mom was a full-time job, so I have no reason to feel caught by surprise. Yet, I felt completely out of control of our home; until yesterday. Yesterday I decided to stop the chaos train and get OFF. Truth is, my life was in chaos because I created that chaos. Because I was so busy doing my extra tasks, I wasn't holding firm to the original tasks that were set before me. My children were running like wild beasts through the house, leaving lovely trails of their adventures strewn everywhere. They were not being made to clean up after themselves or treat each other or myself with respect. I was failing at my job. If I don't teach them to respect the space we all live in who will? If our home is in chaos it's my fault, not theirs, but they are the ones who will suffer for it in the end. Justice MUST prevail! 

Isaiah 32:16-18

New Living Translation (NLT)
 16 Justice will rule in the wilderness
      and righteousness in the fertile field.
 17 And this righteousness will bring peace.
      Yes, it will bring quietness and confidence forever.
 18 My people will live in safety, quietly at home.
      They will be at rest.


If I want a peace filled home, I must set the tone for it. Justice will rule in the wilderness. So to get this going, I lined the boys up and laid down the law. There will be no more leaving little messes all over the house and I WILL be spoken to with respect and honour or there will be consequences. This meant I had to stop doing my other tasks and get back to be the hands-on mother my children need. It was a lot of work, but there was peace. A lot more peace.

Isaiah 61:8-9
New Living Translation (NLT)
 8 “For I, the Lord, love justice.
      I hate robbery and wrongdoing.
   I will faithfully reward my people for their suffering
      and make an everlasting covenant with them.
 9 Their descendants will be recognized
      and honored among the nations.
   Everyone will realize that they are a people
      the Lord has blessed.”




When my children are all grown and on their own, all this hard work will pay off. They will not live like others live. They will conduct themselves with honour and respect. They won't live for the immediate gratification that this world brings, but for the eternal rewards of heaven. All this starts with justice in their childhood.