Monday, November 28, 2011

December's Theme Ingredient Is...

Since I am always looking for a new and interesting way to challenge myself in the kitchen, I thought it might be a neat idea to create a monthly theme ingredient. So, I put out a call to my friends on Facebook for ideas. Here are the responses (some more realistic than others): black truffles, saffron, sausages, apples, squash and lentils.

Aside from truffles and maybe saffron (that silly cousin of mine) these all seemed like real possibilities for me and our family. Since December is only a few days away and my menu this week is already planned, I figured starting with an ingredient I haven't used often, but would like to learn more about, and was already stocked in my pantry was a very budget friendly idea (key this time of year).

So here it is folks...









LENTILS!


Thanks Twila for the idea. You can bet that I will be calling on you if I am in need of ideas. I will try to make one lentil dish a week; hopefully my family can handle that. I will post recipes and photos as I go. If you have any suggestions, please do let me know. Having only cooked with lentils a handful of times, I am very open to input from others. So keep checking in...