Saturday, November 5, 2011

This Weeks Menu

Well this one ought to be interesting and I'm working it all out in my head as I type. Our budget was small this week and I didn't make my menu before doing my shopping. I am relying on inspiration from the FREE Food Network channel, my brain and what was on sale at the store. When I saw that they had 50% off cauliflower, I was reminded of a curry recipe Jamie Oliver had done earlier this week. It was a butternut squash and cauliflower curry over rice with a pickled lemon chutney. I don't have a recipe so I will just go by memory (which is what I do most of the time anyway). Once it's done I'll post my version. Watch for the update.

We have left over minestrone soup & buns. I have a lot of meat & frozen garden vegetables stocked up in the freezer, so I've pulled out chicken legs for the BBQ or roasting depending on the weather. There were also some steaks left in there and I have some potatoes left from the garden; a classic steak & potato dinner. I planned for salmon burgers last week that we didn't get around to. I have some basil pesto, pasta and cream cheese so that will make a nice side dish or I can add chicken & make it a whole meal. Here's one that most people don't care for, but it is such a nice source for iron; liver & onions. Pair those up with some of my Mom's perogies and we're set.

So this is what we're looking at this week (no particular order):

  • Minestrone Soup & Buns
  • Cauliflower & Butternut Squash Curry
  • Maple Glazed Chicken with Pumpkin Risotto (inspired by a Betty Crocker Recipe )
  • Classic Steak & with Pesto Cream Cheese Pasta
  • Salmon Burgers & Carrot & Raisin Slaw (inspired by a Betty Crocker Recipe )
  • Liver, Onions & Perogies