Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Breakfast Made Simple

With four children and a husband who eat cereal most every morning, I am always trying to find ways to do breakfast simple, healthy and cheap! I have already put a limit on how much cereal I buy on an average month to help cut costs. Some of our other options are a bit more time consuming for me and in the mornings I just don't always have it in me to pull out the mad kitchen skills.

I've shared the Baked Oatmeal in the past. I have begun to prepare it the night before and just get my hubby to throw it in the oven when he gets up. A half hour later to so the smell of cinnamon and oatmeal fills the house. A nice way to wake up actually (not as good as fresh coffee though).

We will also make Red River Cereal or Cream of Wheat. I mix it with the children's favourite jam or yogurt. They love it, but some mornings this is too much for us all. They are anxious to get food in their bellies. As it is, they all get a banana (or half) every morning, but that's not enough for them on non-cereal mornings.

Today, I brought back an old favourite from the days when Graeme (now 3) was just born. It is so simple and takes only a few minutes. I think Owen (almost 7) might even be old enough to learn how to make this goodie. This one also travels well and can be warmed up the next day in the toaster, oven or microwave.

French Toast w/Maple Yogurt

10 slices of your favourite bread

4 large eggs
1 c milk
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla

plain yogurt
maple syrup

  • Warm up pan or griddle. I use my panini press, which makes this even faster and more easily warmed in a toaster.
  • Just like any other easy french toast, blend the eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a shallow dish large enough to lay a slice of bread into.
  • Coat bread in egg mixture and put on hot pan to cook until egg is done, flipping once. Cut into strips for the little ones to dip into their maple yogurt.
  • Mix plain yogurt with honey or maple syrup. This makes the syrup last longer and keeps the sugar under your control. Also good for pancakes.
We sometimes do smoothies as well. If you've ever had an avocado bubble tea, this is very simpler in taste and texture to that. I really like this smoothie recipe:

Like Avocado Bubble Tea Smoothie

1 avocado
1 can good quality coconut milk
1 cup ice
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (we use Nature Pro brand)

Blend the 1st three ingredients in your blender until smooth-ish. Add protein powder and pulse a few times until mixed through. Not too much after the powder is added. There you go. The powder has great vitamins etc. and the avocado has good oils to get that brain & body going (and more potassium than a banana without all the sugar). Better than coffee!

Now to tackle out granola bar issue. One for each child and hubby a day. We go through 3 large boxes a month easy...