Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thoughts from my Brain and Foods from my Kitchen

Well, last week was an interesting one. First, our family participated in a week of extraordinary prayer and fasting. Some fasted from food, others (like myself) from the computer and internet, while our children gave up special toys. I must say that this week didn't bring the usual insights I have experienced in the past; in part because I had family from out of town visiting. The other part was because I had allowed myself to get so overwhelmed buy the "drama" brought into my life by those near and dear to me. Amazing how hard it is to see and hear from God when you keep your eyes on the dirt. I am working on that "drama" as best I can (not well I might add), but I am looking up instead of doing it all on my own.

We managed to eat a few Quinoa dishes. I have noticed that you can basically treat quinoa like rice or even oatmeal. So I added some pre-cooked stuff to my usual pancake mixture and it really beefed up the full factor. Topped them with some warm blueberries and a bit of maple syrup and YUMMY! We also mixed it with milk and cinnamon, raisins and almond slices for a nice warm breakfast. 

This week I found some great deals on grapefruit, oranges and blood oranges, so I see some citrus fish on the horizon. Last night I made some cabbage soup I had been craving for a while and it was so tasty. No recipe, just filled the pot with cabbage, carrots, parsnips, chicken stock and tomato paste and let it simmer until greatness!

Here are a few more of the suppers we ate prior to our week of fasting... 

Cauliflower Curry with Chickpeas
 Steak & Eggs with Mini-Potato Gratin
Thai-Style Coconut Chicken Soup

Thai-Style Coconut Chicken Soup

1 lb         Boneless chicken, cut into bite size pieces
4 c          Chicken broth
2 c          Carrots, bias cut
1             Large Onion, chopped
2 tbsp     Grated, fresh ginger
3             Cloves garlic, minced
2             Stalks lemongrass, cut into 1-inch pieces, or 1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 tsp    Crushed red pepper
15 oz      can Unsweetened coconut milk
1             Medium red, yellow and or green peppers cut into bit size pieces
1/2 c       Mushrooms, sliced
1/4 c       Snipped, fresh cilantro
1/3 c       Chopped roasted peanuts

Combine chicken, brith, carrots, onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass or lemon peel and crushed red pepper in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours. Skim off fat if needed (I usually do). Stir in coconut milk, peppers, mushrooms, cilantro. Cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes to warm up the vegetables. Remove lemon grass. Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with peanuts.

I have served this soup over fresh steamed rice. We also like to top with some chilli garlic sauce for extra heat. I often leave the peppers out and added them at the table. I do not like the texture of re-heated peppers. This way they don't get mushy in the left-overs.