Friday, February 3, 2012

30 Day Challenge Meals

Breakfasts are hard for me. 1. I don't often feel like eating in the morning. 2. Besides eggs most usual breakfast ideas are not on the "Advanced Plan". I can do shakes, but I do still need to feed my children. They get oatmeal with a choice of toppings (raisins, almonds, walnuts, orange slices, apples, coconut).

Here is our basic "grown-up" breakfast:
1c almond milk (unsweetened)
handful berries
1 scoop vanilla protein powder

I will mix it up using coconut milk and chocolate protein powder. We are almost out of powder, so time to get more!

This will often hold me for a few hours, but if I do get hungry a handful of almonds or a hard boiled egg will hold me over until lunch.

We are coffee drinkers, but we also like the nasty flavours that go in them, so black it is for me. To be honest I don't feel like I need coffee these days anyway. My husband uses milk/cream with a bit of xylitol in his coffee at work. I think if I had to sit all day to work I would need coffee too.

Lunch is a bit easier but I do find myself taking bites of apple that I have cut for the children with our noticing. Makes me ask how much other food I eat that way?

I will allow the children crackers and bread, just not as much as they would have normally. This was tough today when I made them crackers with peanut butter. I miss crackers. I WILL master a cracker recipe this week I think.

This little number was inspired by pinterest. They had eggs fried inside a pepper slice. I did that, only added tomato and almond flour mixed with butter and salt. Finished it off under the broiler.

I also made a salad of romaine, tomato, peppers, walnuts and my homemade ranch dressing. This was good for me.

Often I will eat a serving of the previous night's supper and serve the children their usual.


Dinner is challenging today because it's Friday and I really wanna treat myself. The new way of thinking says that the steak in the oven is my treat. Thanks Dad for the gift of healthy meat.
Ratatouille & Socca

 The 1st recipe here is the Ratatouille. I knew in advance I would not care for this one. I do not like eggplant, but thought if my son wanted it so bad I should make it for him.

The only highlight here for me was the Socca recipe. I think that if I were to make this chickpea pancake thin enough it could work like a crepe.


Warm Wasabi Avocado Salad with Chicken
This one was not the success I wanted it to be. I would certainly make it again, just like the recipe said. I think what made this one work was that I served it warm with chicken (omitting the carrots for the adults). Maggie LOVED the steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Who knew she would like wasabi?

Chicken "Noodle" Bowls
Lastly I have this asian inspired number. It is like a noodle bowl buffet. I cut up all the "toppings" and each person could add their own according to their likes. We had: rice noodles (kids only), chicken, pineapple (kids only), shredded carrots (kids only), almonds, walnuts, shredded cabbage (slightly steamed) and cauliflower (slightly steamed). The sauce was made of garlic and ginger infused vegetable stock and a splash of gluten free soy sauce. I served this warm over the "noodle" bowls. This was good, even the next day. We often top our asian inspired foods with chilli garlic sauce and we were surprised to see it contained no sugar. Yay for us!

Dessert is the one I thought might be most tough, but actually it is the easiest of them all. Coconut milk is a great thing people!

Here we have a simple mousse made from chilled then whipped coconut milk. The key here is to only use the congealed portion of the can (save the liquid for your shake). Chill overnight in the fridge and whip with cocoa powder (or chocolate protein powder) and xylitol (to taste).


Blueberries topped with Chocolate "Mousse"

I will keep you posted as to the successes as they come. As of today I have lost 2.5 lbs and clearly I have more energy. After day 1 I had a mild headache, but after being adjusted there have been no more. I really wanna eat some junk right now though and sadly I don't think the steaks will be ready before I have to leave for youth :(