Monday, February 20, 2012

The Best of the Best

My husband works rotating shifts so we will often make him breakfast for supper. It's fast and so yummy. When I came across this recipe for zucchini pancakes I was stoked to get them on the plate.

Zucchini Pancakes
(adapted from Paleo Diet Lifestyle.com)

3 medium zucchini, shredded
1 tsp salt
1 leek, cleaned and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 egg
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

1) Place zucchini in a bowl with the salt to draw out the water for at least 10 minutes. Squeeze out the water using cheese cloth or even a clean dish towel.
2) Return zucchini to a bowl and add remaining ingredients. The flour isn't required, but certainly helps them not fall apart.
3) Heat a large skillet or griddle to med-high heat. You want to make sure the pan is hot before you start cooking. Create 2-3" patties, placing them into hot pan (greased if needed), cooking for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve warm or trust me cold is good too!

The eggs you see here are filled with spinach, red peppers, basil, oregano and topped with feta. This one is a real crowd pleaser.


I know eggs for breakfast and lunch? It's just a little bit here, but variety in lunches aren't as easy as suppers. I don't plan my lunches ahead, which is exactly why they can be tough to get in. This is a simple one really.


No Mayo Egg Salad

4 hard boiled eggs
1 ripe avocado, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper (to taste)

Combine all the ingredients and enjoy on lettuce leaves. I made a side salad of tomatoes and feta. The children usually HATE egg salad but they all asked for seconds this day. I wonder now if it was the lettuce "wrap". Maybe I should try tuna salad next. They don't care for that stuff too much either.

If you have read a couple of my previous blogs you'll notice that I have been re-making some old classics. Well this one is no different. Who doesn't like a tasty Meat Loaf for supper?



Meat Loaf with Home-made Ketchup
(from Paleo Diet Lifestyle.com)

I pretty much made this one as the recipe said. I left out the honey and worcestershire sauce. So please do check out their site. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by all the goodies they have. The home-made ketchup was a lot easier than I thought and the children loved it too.


Bacon and Egg Cups 
with a Berry and Spinach Salad

I also have this tasty breakfast for dinner for you. We managed to find some back bacon that was not sured with sugar. Took a while in the store reading labels, but my hubby loved me for it. I started by lightly greasing muffin tins and lining them with thinly sliced bacon. I cracked an egg in each one, baking them in a 350˚F oven until cooked.

We had some frozen berries, so I thought that a quick spinach salad might work with a berry "dressing". I thawed the berries in the microwave. I used a bit of arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce a bit. Dressed the salad with the berries and sauce and topped it off with a bacon and egg cup.

For the children I added a drop of green food colouring to make it green eggs and ham. Went over very well. Be careful to not overcook, because the tops can form a tough skin and that is kinda gross.