Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Grainless Baking Success

The need for some sort of carb hit us hard in the 1st week of this 30 day challenge. I had searched out recipes and this one seemed possible for the baker that I am not. The next 30 days will be a crash course in what ingredients to use to make something more fluffy or more moist. It's hard enough doing that with regular baking and I just go and add no grain and no sugar to make things more difficult. I've never been known to take an easy road.


Here I made a classic Paleo Bread. For those of you not sure what Paleo is, click the link, but basically if people back in the age of "cavemen" people didn't eat something then we shouldn't either. I don't agree with everything, but it's a concept that I can appreciate. Let's face it without McDonalds we would ALL be healthier! So here is the recipe I used.

Paleo Bread
Servings: 8-10 
  • 1 cup coconut flour, sifted
  • 1 cup flax seeds, ground
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 10 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/4 cup cream
  • 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 325˚F. Grease a small loaf pan.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
3. Combine all the wet ingredients.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat well. Batter will be thick.
5. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool completely before slicing.

I recommend used cream for a more moist bread, but you could use water or unsweetened almond milk as well. We slice it pretty thin because it will fill you up.

Today I had two slices with a fried egg topped with old cheddar. Oh, it was yum!