Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pizza Night II

Another pizza night with a different recipe for the crust. It was pretty good, but I think I preferred the cauliflower crust better. I had two votes for this crust and two votes for the cauliflower. The other two votes didn't seem to care.
We also made mozza cubes. These were VERY tasty and I would love to make them again. I don't like to fry things, so I baked them. It made the coating a bit too dry, but really, we didn't care. They were just too yummy!

Here is the newest crust recipe...

Paleo Pizza Crust
(adapted from paleodietlifestyle.com)

1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup almond flour (meal)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp garlic powder
4 eggs
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup almond milk

Just like with the cauliflower crust this also needs to be baked before you add the toppings. So make sure your topping are cooked. We used saut├ęd onions, mushroom and garlic as well as yellow pepper, spinach and some tomato, topped with mozzarella.

1) Preheat oven to 375˚F. Mix the dry ingredients well and then add the wet, blending with a fork until smooth.
2) Grease a pizza pan and spread dough to form the crust until about 1/8" to 1/4" thick. I think my pan was 14" (standard size) and I still had enough to make an extra 4" round. Bake until the crust begins to brown slightly (15-20 minutes).
3) Once baked, you can add your topping just as you like them. Bake again for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

This recipe cuts really nice and is easy enough to hold in your hand. We did find it a bit dry and I thought I could taste the coconut flour too much. I might try using 1/4 cup coconut flour and 1/4 cup chickpea flour. They both seem to have the same texture so I don't see why it wouldn't work out. I feel comfortable enough with this recipe to play around a bit.


These cheese sticks need some overnight or at least 4 hours preparation, but it is well worth it, I promise.

Baked Cheese Sticks or cubes as we did
(adapted from wellnessmama.com)

12 1" cheese cubes (or sticks)
2 eggs
1 cup almond flour (meal)
1 tbsp italian style seasoning (oregano, thyme, basil)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1-2 cup coconut oil for frying (if you prefer)

I baked them at 425˚F so no oil, though you might like to spray them a bit to get them browning better for baking.

1) Cut cheese into preferred size for your sticks. Line them on a baking sheet and freeze a minimum of 3-4 hours, overnight is best. Since mozzarella freezes so well, we chose that, but you can use any brick style cheese that you want.
2) Preheat over to 425˚F. And line a baking sheet with foil or parchment. I even used a cooling rack under the foil to allow heat to come up from under a bit better.
3) Beat eggs with a tsp of water in a small bowl. You want it to be well blended, but not frothy. In another bowl blend the dry ingredients.
4) Bring out cheese and work quickly so cheese remains as frozen as possible. With one hand (now called the wet hand), dip cheese into egg mixture. With your other hand (the dry hand) coat with the dry mixture. Repeat this process at least once more or until the cheese is coated well. If the coating is too thin the cheese will burst out right away.
5) Place on baking sheet, well spread out (we had a few burst, but melted cheese is yummy too). This is where I would spray (or lightly brush) them with oil/butter. Bake until lightly browned.

Serve with home-made pizza sauce and watch your family's faces light up! I think these could be made un huge batches and then frozen for later meals. We will certainly add this one to the keeper file!