Wednesday, February 8, 2012

We're not Torturing Ourselves

When I tell people that we aren't eating sugar or grains (or any food that our body treats like sugar) I am faced with "Well, what can you eat?". They assume we can't eat anything and what we can eat (especially coconut milk, butter or cream) is high in cholesterol or fat. There is a lot of confusion about what is healthy for us. No wonder, there are so many ideas and theories out there. That is one of the reasons I wanted to blog about this. 

We are not torturing ourselves; we are just making better choices. Think of it this way, if we continually force our bodies to put out the "fires" we cause by eating bad food how can it work to keep the other parts of our bodies healthy? Sugar is the biggest one of those "bad foods". Our bodies have to work extra hard to process sugar (ask any diabetic who takes insulin and they would tell you how hard it is to manage just that tiny part). Refined sugars are the worst, so for 30 days we are giving our bodies the break it needs to get on a better path to healing itself.

Since breakfasts are usually shakes you might not get too many recipes from me on that. These are some keepers for sure. We do like to have breakfast for supper from time to time, so watch for that too.

This was a quick lunch from Sunday, inspired by pinterest. It's simply a small amount of cottage cheese, half an avocado, a few snap peas, a handful of almonds and cucumber sandwiches. The sandwiches have a bit of yogurt based feta cheese spread (no sugar) and spinach sandwiched together. If I had tomatoes and hummus these would have been the bomb.
These suppers were a pretty big hit. This Parmesan Crusted Salmon is one I've made before and we had frozen beet greens from our garden this past summer so I figured I could just whip up some yummy. For the salmon all you need to do is mix the zest from one lemon and an 1/8 cup parmesan and 1/8 cup almond flour. Squeeze the juice from  half the lemon over the fish and drizzle with 1 tbsp melted butter. Coat the top of your salmon and bake until salmon flakes easily.
The beet greens were basically sautéed with garlic, shallots, salt, pepper and a bit of nutmeg until warmed through. Finish them off by adding a small about of butter and there you go. Quick and easy. For the children I just made them a side of quinoa, lightly seasoned with butter, salt and pepper. Even they ate some of the beets.

This one was even easier. I found a good deal on some ribs and knew it was time to pull out the crockpot. Since most all store bought sauces have sugar and many other ingredients that I can't even pronounce I knew that I would have to make my own. None of these were measured so you basically need to go by taste. I used water, garlic, shallots, tomato paste, adobo seasoning (from epicure), chilli powder, salt, pepper and a small amount of xylitol (sugar replacement). Mix that together into a thick paste in the crockpot and coat the sauce all over the ribs. Set timer for 6-8 hours and wait for the goodness.
I served this over riced cauliflower which you can't see well in this photo, but it was pretty convincing. Also along side was a simple side salad with sugar-free homemade ranch dressing. It was so nice to have some "normal" food. The children didn't even notice the lack of rice in the "rice". Granted they all like cauliflower anyway.

Lastly for dessert I made another pinterest inspiration. I mixed a small amount of xylitol with cream cheese. Hollowed out some strawberries, filled them with the cream cheese mixture and sprinkled with almond flour (that I should have toasted first). These were better than having cheesecake for me, but then again I am not really a fan of cheesecake.
So clearly we are eating very well around here these days. So those of you concerned we've gone off the deep end on this "health" kick, know that we are just fine. As a matter of fact we are MORE than fine. I feel pretty amazing these days. More energy, better memory and much more calm to be perfectly honest. The children are less prone to outbursts, but it's hard to tell because the ones most prone to freak-outs are three and that age is known for extreme emotions.