Tuesday, March 27, 2012

How Will Our Garden Grow?

Overall Plot Plan. Each plot is 2'x2'.
After making my garden plan, my Dad said he was expanding his garden at the farm this year and offered us some space. It's only an 45 minute drive out of the city, but we can camp there in his school bus converted to camper. Now, we will plant more of the fall harvest veggies out there and save our city garden space for the stuff we can harvest all season long. With the exception of a few beets (I really like beet greens in my warm salads), most all of these are weekly harvesters at their peak. I will stagger my planting to keep a nice rotation going and we should be able to have fresh veggies all summer long.

So new to our urban garden this year are: garlic, cauliflower, zucchini and peas (2 varieties). We will plant a variety of peppers and tomatoes; I plan on roasting and freezing these for the winter. We also plant along the side of our house beens and even spaghetti squash. We will certainly do this again, it worked so well last year. I would LOVE to see some fruit planting going on, but I haven't figured this out yet. Space is limited and fruit plants do take up a fair bit of space. If I could get some strawberries growing vertically...

Our rural garden will hopefully grow pumpkins, a variety of squash, potatoes, beets maybe even some corn (not much, but enough as a treat).

Here's our plan thus far. Remember, this is our front yard so some of this layout is to just help things look prettier. It really looked great last year. Now to get some seeds bought & started...

Part I 
We plan on using bamboo to grow our peas, tipi style. Anyone know where to get cheap bamboo or something like it? The outside borders of our garden are "fenced" with lattice; great for growing cucumbers and zucchini. It's removable in the fall and easy to store in the rafters of our garage.
Part II
Last year I outlines each plot using kabob sticks and string. This year I might reduce my work by just outlining the beds with string, but steak out the plots with sticks if I need it.

Part III
*Note: to save paper space I reduced path size. Actual paths are about 2'x2'. Our paths are made shale rock and some wood so it's pretty flexible.

To prepare the soil this year, we will mulch in our compost and we might need to add some soil, but we'll see. Right now it's looking pretty low, but once we add our last year's compost and turn up the earth, we might not need to. I always find that whenever I add dirt, I just get more weeds to deal with. That and I would have to buy the dirt. We'll see...

So there it is. I don't know too much about plant combining so if you have any recommendation I am all to glad to hear them. I always thought that if the food goes well on the plate together that they would grow well together, but I could be way off the mark on that one!