Wednesday, December 5, 2012

French Canadian Meat Pie

A number of years ago I was introduced to a great Christmas food tradition. While I know this version will never compare to the one I first fell in love with, this is a really good rendition.

Where we live now, veal wasn't available though I was tempted to try and find some moose or other game meat to add in. Alas I wasn't that brave... this time!

Here's how I made this batch (and yes, I was lazy and used store bought crust). Feel free to send me your versions. I am always  willing to try other versions.

Ingredients

2 pounds ground pork
1/2 pound ground veal
1 onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 small sweet potato (cooked and mashed)
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
Salt and pepper to taste
Pastry for two (maybe 3 if shallow) double-crust pies (9 inches)

Directions

Brown meat with onion, celery and garlic. Add herbs salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and cook for a couple minutes. Add the mashed sweet potato and chicken broth, combining well. Simmer a few more minutes. Allow to cool slightly before filling prepared shells. Fill to slightly heaping amounts and lay top rust over, pinching edges. Cut a few venting holes and brush tops with milk or egg wash (if you like). Bake for 30-45 minutes in a 350˚F oven. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.