Friday, February 1, 2013

Warm Winter Food

I have had many people asking me recently for some of the recipes to go with the photos I posted to my wall on Facebook so here you go. Some are Sugar-Free and Grain-Free, while others could easily be converted over. Because I often cook without measuring, some of there are estimates. I mean, really a cupped palm-full of dried herbs would be about 1 tbsp, where as a half might be a tsp for me. Best way to get cooking is through trial and error so if you're uncertain of anything, please leave me a message & hopefully I can get back to you fast enough.

Beef Pot Pies

(Makes 12 - 4" pies)

 Ingredients:
1 beef roast (large enough to feed a family of 6-8), cubed to small bite size pieces
3 carrots, chopped to small bite size pieces
4 small sweet potatoes (not yams), chopped to small bite size pieces
1 cup frozen peas
2 tbsp worchestershire sauce
4-6 tbsp oil (I used grape seed oil)
24 pie crusts (these are not SFGF, but I hope to post a recipe option soon)
Seasoning for beef; I use dried thyme, garlic, onion, dry mustard, S&P

Directions:

Heat oil in deep pot (I used coconut oil). Cube beef, coat well with dried herbs and seasonings. Add beef to hot oil in batches just to brown (you may need to add more oil after each batch. Remove to a bowl until all beef is cooked.

Turn heat down to medium. Add enough water to cover bottom of your pot. Loosen up bits from bottom of pot. Put chopped vegetables into the same pot and return the beef as well. Add with just enough water to cover vegetables. Add worchestershire sauce, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender and meat falls apart easily (I simmered for a couple hours, but one could do this part in a crock pot just the same). Add frozen peas at the end so they don't get mushy. Let cool completely to make sure it sets well. If you're mixture is too thin for you liking you can always add very small amounts of arrowroot powder (1 tsp at a time to avoid a slimy texture). Too thick, just add a bit more water.

Have pie shells ready to go. Fill shells to a slightly heaping levels, top with upper crust and seal. Make sure to add steam vents. These can be wrapped in foil and frozen or cooked right away. From frozen it will take longer to cook (foil on until half way), 30-45 minutes. Fresh 15-20 minutes.